Happy NaNoWriMo everyone! It’s the 1/3 mark, so if you’re still hanging in there, virtual pat on the back and tip of the hat to you, friend.
Current Word Count: 35,858
I had another great writing day today. I managed 5,542 words which leaves me 19,192 words ahead of schedule (!!!). I’ve never done this well in NaNo before! I hope you had a great writing day, too. And if you didn’t, that’s okay! The great thing about NaNo is you have 30 chances to have that stellar writing day.
Three things got me through a bad bout of writers block at the beginning of the day:
1. I decided to write out of order–a common technique amongst NaNoers, and writers in general, but a tactic I’ve never really liked. Today, however, I was struggling so much with a scene, that I decided to give it a go. I knew what would happen next, so I went on and wrote that, and after getting those words on the page, the previous scene came out easier. Not easily, but easier. (There may have been some head smacking the keyboard and a plethora of snacks involved.)
2. Twitter Word Sprints! I’ve been taking advantage of them the past few days, and they’ve really helped me! If you’re looking for a good community to help you reach your goals, I’d suggest checking out @NaNoWordSprints.
3. Music. I always listen to music, but today a few albums really helped push me through.
- My Head is an Animal–Of Monsters and Men
- Night Visions–Imagine Dragons
- Megalithic Symphony–AWOLNATION
How’s NaNo going? Are you reaching your goals? Struggling with writer’s block, yet? Do you have different methods to help you when you’re stuck?
- Project NaNoWriMo: It Has Begun (booksandbeautifulworld.wordpress.com)
- NaNo Day 10 – How’s everyone doing? (londonwriterssociety.wordpress.com)
- #NaNoWriMo Tips and Nostalgia (jillelainehughes.wordpress.com)
- NaNoWriMo: Writing Buddies (courtvanhaaren.wordpress.com)
- NaNo Day 10 – Mission Complete! (janisimonroe.com)